A pornographic website posting doctored pictures of high-profile Italian women, including prime minister Giorgia Meloni and opposition leader Elly Schlein, has sparked widespread outrage in Italy.The doctored images, taken from personal social media accounts and public sources, are paired with vulgar captions and were published on the Italian platform Phica (a misspelt slang word for vagina), which has over 700,000 subscribers, reported the Guardian.Images of female politicians from rallies, TV, and holiday photos were altered sexually and featured in the site’s “VIP section.”The scandal gained momentum after PD politician Valeria Campagna filed a formal complaint, prompting others to speak out in what the Italian press is calling “Italy’s #MeToo.” An online petition demanding the site’s shutdown has already garnered more than 150,000 signatures. Campagna expressed her outrage, writing that she was “disgusted, angry and disappointed” and “couldn’t stay silent” after learning that her photos had been published on the site without her consent.“Not just photos in a swimsuit but moments from my public and private life,” she added. “Beneath them there were sexist, vulgar and violent comments. I can’t stay silent because this story isn’t just about me. It’s about all of us. It’s about our right to be free, respected and to live without fear,” she said through a Facebook post on Wednesday.The incident occurred a week after Meta shut down an Italian Facebook account named Mia Moglie (My wife), where men reportedly shared intimate videos of their wives and other women. “Phica” appears to have largely operated unchecked until several centre-left Democratic Party (PD) politicians filed legal complaints. Authorities are now investigating the platform.Meloni, whose sister Arianna was also targeted, declined to comment when approached by reporters on Wednesday, as cited by local media. Other prominent women affected include actor Paola Cortellesi, director of the Italian domestic violence film C’è Ancora Domani (There’s Still Tomorrow), and influencer Chiara Ferragni.The scandal has reignited debate in Italy on entrenched gender-based violence and misogyny. “Unfortunately, I’m not alone. We must report these groups of men who act in gangs and go unpunished despite numerous complaints. These sites must be shut down and banned. Enough is enough!” said PD politician Alessia Morani through a post on Instagram. The Italian government approved a draft law in March, which, for the first time, defined femicide in the country’s criminal codes and also prescribes life imprisonment as a penalty, as per DW. However, the bill has yet to receive final approval and is not yet law.